iPhone 5 finally starts shipping to the users and the long awaited moment will end in joy and happiness for many. After months of rumours and speculations iPhone 5 was revealed. The iPhone 5 is shipped with the latest version of iOS, i.e iOS 6, for users who are still keeping the iPhone 4S or iPhone 4 can update their device to iOS 6 right away.
iPhone 5 has basically the same design as 4S except that its a bit taller now to accomodate a 4inch retina display. The significant changes that come with iPhone 5 is a an upgraded hardware and the rest depends on iOS6, and why not after all iOS plays the most important part in delivering the most exceptional product to consumers.
Besides the larger screen you get:
- 8 Megapixel iSight rear camera and 1.2 MP front camera with 720p recording.
- 4G LTE capability Which is faster than your Wifi.
- 8Hrs of 3G talktime and 40 Hrs of music playback
- A faster A6 processor which is twice fast then A5.
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n.
- Nano-SIM card support only.
- New reversible lightning connector.
- Newly designed apple earphones called earpods.
Comparison iPhone 5 vs iPhone 4S Features
|Specifications||iPhone 5||iPhone 4S|
|Display||4inch retina display1136-by-640 resolution||3.5inch retina display960-by-640 resolution|
|Camera||8 megapixel Rear1.2 Mp front with 720p HD recording||8 megapixelFront VGA camera|
|Cellular Network||CDMA, 2G, 3G, 4G LTE||CDMA, 2G, 3G|
|Wi-Fi||Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n; 802.11n on|
2.4GHz and 5GHz)
|Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n; 802.11n on|
|OS||iOS 6||iOS 6|
|Storage Capacity||16/32/64 GB||16/32/64 GB|
Up to 8 hours on 3GBrowsing time:
Up to 8 hours on LTE
Up to 8 hours on 3G
Up to 10 hours on Wi-FiStandby time:
Up to 225 hours
Up to 8 hours on 3GBrowsing time:
Up to 6 hours on 3G
Up to 9 hours on Wi-FiStandby time:
Up to 200 hours
|Weight||112 grams||140 grams|
Should you upgrade to iPhone 5?
If i asked you that if you would like to upgrade your current iphone with the smashing new iPhone 5 then your answer will obviously be yes without giving it a second thought. Who woudnt want that?, but to get you hands on iPhone 5 a price has to be paid and if you have recently got the iPhone 4S then you may also be struggling in your mind as if is it worth to upgrade to iPhone 5 or not ?.
[box type=”tick” style=”rounded”]Let me list down some important factors that makes an iPhone 5 worth an upgrade[/box]
- 4 inch retina display – Apple finally accepted that users love a larger display, it gives more space for icons on homescreen, apps and web browsing. It is also advantageous in viewing photos and videos, so a big screen is definitely the main attraction on iPhone 5.
- iSight Camera – The camera now uses sapphire crystal being hard and crystal clear gives the best image quality. The camera will also perform better in low light and capture images faster. With new iSight camera you can take pictures while recording a video.
- A6 Processor – The new processor in iPhone 5 is twice faster than the iPhone 4S which makes everything faster like graphics, snapping photos, using apps and even faster web browsing.
- 4G LTE Technology – It includes a single chip, dynamic antenna that supports both cdma and 4G LTE technology. Users will experience blazing fast internet speeds over cellular network that is even faster than Wi-Fi. It supports GPRS, EDGE, Ev-DO, HSPA, HPSA+, DC-HSDPA wireless connectivity.
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n – In iPhone 4s the wifi connectivity was limited to a/b/g/n 2.5Ghz networks but iPhone 5 can also connect to 5Ghz Wifi networks for faster access and speeds. iOS 6 also introduces Wi-Fi plus cellular which will automatically allow to use apps cellular data if the wifi quality is not sufficient.
- A slimmer & lighter phone – Last but not the least the new iphone 5 is sleeker than 4S, the difference is not much but it will surely feel better holding a sleeker iPhone, plus the its also a bit lighter than the 4S.
Why should you not upgrade to iPhone 5 & Keep the iPhone 4S.
[box type=”tick” style=”rounded”]Why iPhone 4S is still worth keeping?.[/box]
- The iOS 6 Maps – I dont really need to say anything much on this, the iOS 6 3D Maps is simply garbage when compared to the 2D google maps. It suffers from serious faults which causes messy maps rendering and the the maps lack details which makes it practically useless. Moreover if you still think you need iOS 6 maps then you can also get them on iPhone 4s running iOS6. Why buy iPhone 5 for that.
- The same design – The iPhone 5 is thinner and has a larger display but it has practically the same design like the iPhone 4, edges and corners feel the same. A change in design would have given a new perspective to the new iphone.
- Panorama Mode – The iPhone 5 camera app on iOS features inbuilt panorama mode which is no big deal. There are already hundreds of apps on the appstore than can make the panorama photo for you using you existing iPhone 4S or even iPhone 4.
- Reversible Lightning connector – Really? , does it matter that you dont have the new reversible lightning connector on your iPhone 4S. The existing data cable connector does the job fine.
- New Apple EarPods – Apple has made a lot of research in developing the new earpods which fits in your ear very comfortably and the sound produced is directly delivered to your ears with minimal sound loss and guess what you can always buy them seperatey and use it with your 4S.
- No significant battery life improvement – A larger screen lets you enjoy videos, games and provide a better web browsing experience. The idea of a 4inch display is great but it should have been also complimented with an increased battery backup thus it gives no advantage over iPhone 4S. The new A6 processor is smaller and energy efficient but that doesnt gives it a greater edge over previous models.
- Still limited to 64GB model – Come on a 4inch display would love all the HD content playing and considering that the size of the media is expanding day by day, iPhone 5 deserved a capacity upgrade. My iPhone 4S 64GB works great, i would have given a thought to iPhone 5 upgrade if it had a larger capacity.
- Also read iPhone 5 Problems reported by users.
Now comes the hard part of deciding if you should give up your iPhone 4S and get and iPhone 5?. Let me come straight to the point.
[box]Eventually everything comes down to the price![/box]
On Contract iPhone 5 – Two year contract on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB.
Factory unlocked iPhone 5 – US price are $649 for 16GB, $749 for 32GB and $849 for 64GB.
If you have extra cash lying around then why not go ahead and pamper yourself, the core conclusion is that the iPhone 5 is worth upgrading for its larger display and faster performance. If you have been somehow living with in vain with a 3.5 inch display up till now then go head get the 5. No one can stop you.
For those wise guys who value the investment they made in iPhone 4S hold on to it. The 4S camera is pretty decent, performance is great, 3G provides fairly good speeds and lastly you also get iOS6 along with all the goodies it as to offer like the crappy iOS maps, passbook, improved Siri and facebook, twitter integration.
While for the iPhone 4 users this is the right time to get the iPhone 5.